nanos GbR
Jan C.

Development Blog - Week 30

Hello there!

This is actually my first development blog for Just Cause 3 if I remember correctly. Anyway, let's just go straight to the new and awesome stuff.

Are you guys shutting the mod down?

No. You might have read that the creators of the JC2 Multiplayer Mod discontinued their mod for Just Cause 3. We are still working hard to deliver our modification this year.

All-New, Shiny, Client UI

This week we've spent a lot of time on the new Main UI. As you might have seen in earlier videos or our stream, we did not have a proper UI for nJC3:MP. There was only our chat. As we are getting somewhat closer to the first Previews, we wanted to tackle this issue. @SKULLY submitted some drafts for a JC3:MP UI a long time ago and this is what we used as a basis for our new UI.

@Alexander G. and I actually met for the first time in 4 years and worked 8 hours straight to get the UI <-> C++ interface working properly:

502-5782ae09594ee.png

We're pretty happy with the result and prepared a short video showcasing the current UI functionality for you:

Keep in mind that the UI isn't 100% finished right now. The Settings still need to be implemented as well as some other, minor, stuff. The current public client-default-package is also not working anymore as we completely rebuilt the CEF <-> C++ communication.

Sharper than ever

We fixed a bug that we basically did not pay attention to since we started GTA:Multiplayer: the whole UI looked a bit 'blurry'. We could work with that but starting today, the bug was fixed and the UI looks sharper than ever before. It actually still feels weird now that it looks so different. The underlying problem was that our rendered CEF Texture was always slightly warped after an initial resize event. This also means that resizing the client no longer yields weird UI scaling bugs like before.

Masterlist Server & Package

As you might have seen in the video above, the Server Browser is working properly and listing the connected servers. We needed to modify quite a lot of code in our masterlist server and the package that is used in the jc3mp server. We also used this as an opportunity to explore some options of hosting our masterlist server "in the cloud" and settled with a DigitalOcean 2 droplet setup (one for postgres, one for the actual masterlist server):

Steam Integration

We are now able to check whether you own Just Cause 3 on Steam. You are also now able to retrieve the Steam ID of each connected client on the Server. On top of that, it is also possible for us now to check which DLCs you own. This will come in handy when we get to the point where Servers can decide which DLCs they require/allow.

"We managed to sync Wingsuits, Checkpoints can't be that hard to do, can they?"

Actually, it turns out that checkpoints are really complicated. Aaron worked on checkpoints for the whole week and we are still experiencing weird issues and bugs related to checkpoints. Here are some screenshots @Aaron K. posted in our Slack:

505-5782b15452bbb.png504-5782b132eb389.png

• Upvote 8

You guys have been doing a sensational job :) I really appreciate it...

Side note: Would there be any chance that you will have some form of controller optimization for this game (i.e. Steam Controller)? Perhaps make it a bit easier for us to hooko up controllers.

20 hours ago, BigChapJ said:

You guys have been doing a sensational job :) I really appreciate it...

Side note: Would there be any chance that you will have some form of controller optimization for this game (i.e. Steam Controller)? Perhaps make it a bit easier for us to hooko up controllers.

Thank you!

Sadly I must tell you, that this will be definitely not in the first release. Currently we have to look at other things.

By any chance would you be willing to share the CEF implementation you used? I am one of the ElDewrito devs (Halo Online). Seeing how you have implemented CEF would help us improve our implementation of it.

If not that is completely understandable.

Edited by no1dead

13 hours ago, no1dead said:

By any chance would you be willing to share the CEF implementation you used? I am one of the ElDewrito devs (Halo Online). Seeing how you have implemented CEF would help us improve our implementation of it.

If not that is completely understandable.

We have discussed going partly open-source at a later stage of development however at the current time we can sadly not share any of the code.

On 7/15/2016 at 4:26 AM, Sebastian M. said:

We have discussed going partly open-source at a later stage of development however at the current time we can sadly not share any of the code.

Edited by BigChapJ

On 7/13/2016 at 1:44 PM, Sebastian M. said:

Thank you!

Sadly I must tell you, that this will be definitely not in the first release. Currently we have to look at other things.

I understand that this isn't top priority at the moment. Hoping to see it in the future. :)